Anke Eckardt, sound and media artist.
Born in Dresden (DE) in 1976. Lives and works in Berlin since 1994.
Since 2008 her work encompasses sculptures, installations as well as workshops and a theoretical discourse on the topic of the phenomenology of sounds. Within her artistic research projects she combines her artistic and her theoretical work, the results are presented internationally in exhibitions and at conferences.
For her sculptures and installations Anke Eckardt uses sound (including ultrasound and infrasound) in combination with other media/materials such as moving light and water for building large-scale works of a rich metaphoric radiance. The themes which serve as a starting point for Eckardt’s artistic work are elemental and ubiquitous: fall and impact; an immaterial wall; the ground. For Anke Eckardt these are imaginary spaces, which also unfold a wide range of cultural meanings. It is essential for Eckardt´s work that the technically complex ensembles appear deceptively simple - in this way they can directly trigger the imagination of the audience.
THEORY / TEACHING:
Anke Eckardt holds workshops and cooperates in the framework of research projects with scientific institutes like e.g. the SOUND STUDIES LAB at the Humboldt-University in Berlin.
ARTISTIC RESEARCH PROJECTS:
Anke Eckardt currently works on her Artistic Research Project ‘SONIC BEAM ))) - ON THE PERCEPTION OF ULTRA-DIRECTED ACOUSTIC RADIATION.’ The phenomenon is exploited and revealed in her ongoing artistic work like for instance her multi-sensory installations ‘BETWEEN | YOU | AND | ME’ (using ultrasound) and ‘GROUND.’ (using infrasound). The artistic supervisor of this project is Christina Kubisch.
From 2008-2010 Anke Eckardt worked on her Artistic Research Project ‘VERTICAL HEARING’, where she explored the close relation of verticality and power. She gave lectures on the topic at conferences such as ‘Sound, Sight, Space and Play’ in Demontford University (2009, Leicester, UK) and produced the SOUND SCULPTURE ‘ ! ’ and the enhanced version ‘ ! ’ MULTICHANNEL, which are based on the image of fall and impact.
GRANTS / PRIZES:
Anke Eckardt receives one of the fellowships at The Graduate School For The Arts And The Sciences at the University of the Arts Berlin 2011-2013. Her multisensory installation piece 'BETWEEN | YOU | AND | ME' got a Honorary Mention in the 'Digital Musics and Sound Art' category of Prix Ars Electronica 2012. Based on the submission of her sound sculpture ' ! ' she was awarded the Artist-In-Residence Grant of the Saxon State Ministry for Higher Education, Research and the Fine Arts 2011 by the CynetArt-Jury. This grant is awarded in co-operation with City of Dresden and, co-funded by ‘Culture Programme’ (2007-2013) in framework of European networking- and co-operation project ‘E.C.A.S. – Networking Tomoorows' Art For An Unknown Future’. 2009-10 she received the Career Advancement Grant from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research for completing her Master of Arts in ‘Sound Studies’ at the University of the Arts, Berlin.
- OCTOBER ODDSTREAM-Festival (Nijmegen, NL): ' BETWEEN | YOU | AND | ME ' at the ODDSTREAM-Festival 2012
- OCTOBER GRADUALE (Berlin, DE): prototyp of 'GROUNDED ' at the Amerika-Haus at the GRADUALE 2012
- OCTOBER MUSIKPROTOKOLL (Graz, AT): ' BETWEEN | YOU | AND | ME ' at the Galerie Zimmermann at the festival MUSIKPROTOKOLL 2012 (part of STEIRISCHER HERBST 2012)
- SEPT./OCT. ARS ELECTRONICA (Linz, AT): '' BETWEEN | YOU | AND | ME ' at OK Linz in the CyberArts-Exhibition of ARS ELECTRONICA 2012
- APRIL/MAY EMAF (Osnabrück, DE): ' ! ' MULTICHANNEL at Kunsthalle Dominkanerkirche at the EUROPEAN MEDIA ART FESTIVAL
- JAN./FEBR. CTM.12 EXHIBITION (Berlin, DE): Multi-Sensory Installation ' BETWEEN | YOU | AND | ME ' at Kunstraum Kreuzberg/Bethanien at the exhibition of the CTM-FESTIVAL
- NOVEMBER CYNETART (Dresden, DE): enhanced version of ' BETWEEN | YOU | AND | ME ' at the CYNETART Festival
- JUNE TRANS-MEDIA-AKADEMIE HELLERAU (Dresden, DE): technical prototyp of the multi-sensory installation ' BETWEEN | YOU | AND | ME ' at the Trans-Media-Akademie Hellerau
- NOVEMBER CYNETART (Dresden, DE): ' ! ' MULTICHANNEL at the CYNETART Festival
- SEPTEMBER TODAYSART (The Hague, NL): ' ! ' MULTICHANNEL at the TODAYSART Festival
- SEPTEMBER GOGBOT (Enschede, NL): Sound Sculpture ' ! ' at the GOGBOT Festival
- MARCH/APRIL PLANETART (Amsterdam, NL): Sound Sculpture ' ! ' at the Exhibition TECHNOLOGICAL SINGULARITY
- JAN./FEBR. SPA (Berlin, DE): Sound Sculpture ' ! ' at TAG & CTM's Exhibition ESEMPLASTICISM: THE TRUTH IS A COMPROMISE
- SEPT. GENERAL PUBLIC (Berlin, DE): Sound Sculpture ' ! ' at CTM´s Symposium 'Structures Node 2: Blind Capture'
- SEPT. BIORAMA PROJEKT (Joachimsthal, DE): Sound Sculpture ' ! ' + Sound Installation 'midnightsun' in Group show '17räume' together with Robert Curgenven
- AUG. HKW (Berlin, DE): Sound Sculpture ' ! ' + Lecture 'Vertikales Hören in der Kongresshalle' in Group show 'Hausklang'
- JULY GROSSER WASSERSPEICHER (Berlin, DE): Sound Installation 'STILLERwerden ' & Sound Installation 'DOOM' in Group show 'Klangspeicher 2008'
- MAR. GALERIE AUTOCENTER (Berlin, DE): Sound Installation 'ungelesen', Collaboration with artist Daniel Sprenger and programmer Peter Votava, concept and sound for Sound Installation